Partner, Head of China Desk
Charles focuses on advising Chinese companies, institutions and individuals investing into the UK on a broad range of disputes and transactions, from shareholder disputes and various regulatory investigations through to buying/renting properties (residential and commercial) and setting up in the UK.
A native Mandarin speaker, Charles qualified as a PRC lawyer (non-practising) since 2004 and worked in both company as in-house counsel and leading law firms advising western clients investing in China. He then moved to London, qualified as a solicitor in 2014 and worked for various city law firms. From many years of work experience both in China and in the UK, Charles has accumulated extensive connections across the Chinese business and legal communities within the UK and in China.
Prior to joining Rosenblatt, Charles has led a major city law firm’s China desk to act for various Chinese clients (both corporate and individual) investing and solving various problems arising from investments in the UK.
Charles has worked in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Singapore and Dubai before settling in London.
- 2017-2019 China Desk Lead, Mishcon de Reya
- 2015-2017 Associate, Farrer & Co
- 2012-2015 Trainee Solicitor and Associate, Stephenson Harwood
- 2008-2010 PRC Consultant, Baker & Mckenzie Beijing
- 2006-2007 PRC Associate, King & Wood Mallesons Beijing
- 2005-2006 In-house counsel, Shenzhen Airlines
Qualifications and professional memberships
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- PRC Lawyer Qualification (non-practising)
Recent work includes:
- Advising a Chinese conglomerate on forensic investigations against the senior manager of its UK subsidiary and shareholding disputes.
- Acting for a sports association on negotiating a settlement agreement in relation to outstanding licence fee owed by a Chinese sports media company.
- Representing a few Chinese individuals in various investigations and freezing orders against their UK bank accounts.
- Assisting a Chinese real estate developer in purchasing a piece of land and developing residential properties in East London.
- Assisting a Chinese property holding company in leasing central London office building to a famous shared workspace provider.
- Advising many Chinese UHNWIs on purchasing prime properties in London involving complicated tax structuring and offshore corporate transactions.
- Advising several Chinese football clubs on disputes with foreign footballers going through FIFA disciplinary procedure or settling through negotiations.
- Advising a Chinese family on family financial dispute and divorce issues involving engaging private investigators in London.
- Assisting many Chinese individuals and companies in various immigration/employment issues.
- Advising various banks, leasing companies and airlines on their financial leasing transactions in relation to aircraft and ships.
- Assisting an American financial lessor in the repossession of an aircraft in China, following the Chinese lessee’s failure to pay rent.
- Assisting an Italian automobile group in the negotiation with its business partner in China and the restructuring of their joint venture.
- Advising a German company on proceedings against a senior management of its Chinese subsidiary to secure important documents in China.