Associate, Financial Crime
Frances was called to the bar in 2008 and subsequently cross qualified as a solicitor in 2011 after spending the entirety of her career at a white collar boutique firm in the city. Frances was the head of the firm’s London offices and practiced predominantly in the areas of financial crime and serious crime. She represented individuals, sole traders, limited companies and PLCs from the investigatory stage to Crown Court proceedings. This included, high net worth individuals, chief executive officers of multi million pound, multi national city based companies, professionals in law, medicine, journalism and accountancy. Frances has defended investigations / prosecutions brought by the Serious Fraud Office, Financial Conduct Authority, HM Revenue and Customs, National Crime Agency, Architects Registration Board and the Crown Prosecution Service, as well as those prosecutions brought privately.
- Head of the London office, Kangs Solicitors
Qualifications and professional memberships
- Solicitor, England and Wales
- Member of the Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Member of the Fraud Lawyers Association (FLA)
- Member of the Proceeds of Crime Lawyers’ Association (POCLA)
- Member of the Female Fraud Forum (FFF)
- Member of Women In Criminal Law (WICL)
- Member of the British Russian Law Association (BRLA)
What the Legal Directories say
Frances has received recognition since 2014:
Chambers & Partners | 2021 Edition
- UK – POCA Work & Asset Forfeiture – UK-wide: Associates to watch
- Frances Murray has notable experience in fraud and post-conviction POCA proceedings. “Frances is a dedicated lawyer who goes the extra mile for her clients.” “Clients really appreciate her expertise in confiscation orders.”
Chambers & Partners | 2020 Edition
- Frances Murray has experience handling fraud and post-conviction POCA proceedings. A source enthuses: “She is one of my favourite solicitors to work with because she is likeable, firm and always well prepared.”
Legal 500 | 2019 Edition
- Frances Murray is known for her ‘ability to manage document heavy cases’, ‘diligence in pursuing lines of enquiry’ and ‘client care’.
- Frances Murray, who is ‘a hard-working and solid lawyer’ who ‘stays calm no matter what the pressure is in a case’.
- Frances Murray is ‘tenacious in her quest to achieve the best possible outcome for her clients and commands the respect of clients and opponents alike’.
Chambers & Partners | 2019 Edition
- Frances Murray is recognised for her valuable experience in fraud cases. Sources observe that she is a “very talented” practitioner with “an incredible work ethic.”
- “She is a no-nonsense lawyer who is thorough, experienced, and dedicated to getting results for the clients.”
Chambers & Partners | 2018 Edition
- “Frances Murray continues to win plaudits for wide-ranging work assisting on fraud cases. Commentators note that she produces written work of a very high calibre.”
- “Frances Murray advises on POCA proceedings arising from fraud and drug supply cases. Sources describe her as very detailed, methodical and client-friendly.”
Legal 500 | 2017 Edition
- “Frances Murray is an exceptional lawyer in every way. A superb lawyer”
Chambers & Partners | 2017 Edition
- “Frances Murray is praised as ‘very industrious and very bright.’ Key mandates include her role advising a public servant on a charge of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office, arising from HMRC’s ‘Operation Spallation’ investigation.”
- “Sources agree that associate Frances Murray ‘has a great tenacity and ability to fight for her clients.’ She frequently acts on asset recovery and confiscation matters.”
Chambers & Partners | 2016 Edition
- “Frances Murray is capable of acting in a variety of cash seizure and confiscation matters. Impressed sources report: She really did a phenomenal job – we were able to settle the confiscation proceedings very well”
Financial Crime Cases
- Represented a Global leader in the legal services sector in relation to a section 2 notice served by the Serious Fraud Office following an investigation into a world leading global security company.
- Represented a professional in the property sector being investigated by the Serious Fraud Office for their involvement in an international, multi-million pound affordable property investment scheme.
- Represented senior figures of an international pharmaceutical company interview under section 2 by the Serious Fraud Office.
- Represented individuals in the UK and overseas interviewed under section 2 by the Serious Fraud Office in relation to a multi-million pound pension investment scheme fraud.
- Operation Dover: Inner London Crown Court, acquittal following Prosecution for high-value credit card fraud.
- International Private Prosecution: Southwark Crown Court, complex trade marks and fraud case.
- Operation Foremark: Million pound insurance and mortgage fraud representing an Orthopaedic Surgeon.
- Operation Wintergreen: Southwark Crown Court, multi-million pound carbon credit fraud.
- Operation Tidworth: Southwark Crown Court, multi-million pound international boiler room fraud prosecuted by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Operation Greenking: £44m payroll service fraud prosecuted by HM Revenue and customs together with Essex and Kent Police at Wood Green Crown Court.
- Operation Heteredon: National Crime Agency investigation into a multi-million-pound, cross jurisdiction money laundering operation, resulting in no further action against all suspects.
- Cash seizure proceedings: secured the release of over £220,000 from the Serious Organised Crime Command of the Met Police following a detailed application and forensic analysis of company accounts.
- Operation Spinnaker: Multi-million pound publishing fraud prosecuted by Trading Standards at Nottingham Crown Court.
- Operation Spallation: A multi-handed HM Revenue & Customs corruption case prosecuted at the Central Criminal Court.
- Operation Savate: Multi-million pound VAT fraud involving an abuse of the Construction Industry Scheme.
- Represented the former owner of London Welsh Rugby Club in relation to allegations of fraud.
- Complex advance fee fraud involving the sale of oil stocks/jet fuel in Saudi Arabia.
- Successfully achieved the release of a substantial amount of cash seized by the authorities at a UK port.
- Operation Tulipbox: £38m Carbon Credit MTIC Fraud.
- Operation Vex: £85m Mobile phone MTIC fraud.
- Operation Bladesmith: Prosecution at the Central Criminal Court of a multi-million-pound, international drugs conspiracy following an investigation by the National Crime Agency.
- Operation Blackout: International importation of counterfeit goods.
- Operation Thebe: International importation of adulterants (Benzocaine).
- Operation Ghast: Southwark Crown Court, £21 million mobile telephone MTIC Fraud.
- Operation Hayrick: Multi-million pound Confiscation Proceedings deriving from an MTIC fraud.
- Operation Russo – Prosecution at Harrow Crown Court of a multi-million-pound mortgage fraud involving Britain’s biggest ever conwoman.
Proceeds of Crime | Confiscation Cases and Cash Seizure & Forfeiture
- Frances undertakes work on Proceeds of Crime / Confiscation cases, Restraint Orders, Civil Asset Recovery and Cash Seizure.
- Proceedings due to her knowledge and experience of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.
Frances is instructed in relation to cash seizure and cash forfeiture cases. She services the firm’s national client base in relation to such cases. She is regularly instructed to formulate and present applications under sections 297 and 301 of POCA 2002 and she has experience of conducting numerous such cases at Courts all over England & Wales.