Rosenblatt’s IP/Technology/Media team applies commercial rigour with characteristic dynamism and flexibility to deliver the right advice for its innovative, fast-moving business clients.
We aim to maximise the potential of our clients’ intellectual property. Advising businesses in the technology, software and media sectors – from established corporate groups to start-ups, and from content owners to service providers – we play a crucial role in shaping and negotiating contracts in the areas of development, production, outsourcing, distribution, licensing, marketing, data management and more.
Each recommendation we make draws on our fund of experience in both traditional and technology-driven businesses. We keep a firm eye on the essentials and imperatives of each project, defining priorities with the client and reviewing each contract for its practical and strategic implications.
The IP/Technology/Media team works closely with other departments at Rosenblatt to meet the full range of commercial client needs, collaborating with trusted legal firms overseas for international projects.
Much of our work necessarily remains confidential, but some examples of our recent work are set out below.
IP and its development, protection and exploitation
- Marketing & advertising: advising clients regarding advertising agency MSAs, outsourcing projects, full-service agreements. Clients include Tag Worldwide, Jaywing & Seren.
- Trade mark portfolio management: advising clients regarding their strategy for developing and maintaining a valuable portfolio of marks worldwide. Clients include LabTech (Camden Market) and Moke International (Moke) Broadcast media: advising Channel 5 on its content production (including the relaunch of Big Brother), licensing, its participation in joint ventures, and a number of programming, celebrity talent and other commercial agreements.
- Other media: advising OK! Magazine on trade mark and licensing matters and regarding the disposal of its US market.
- Technology: advising and negotiating a range of agreements (development, purchase and implementation) for new and established technologies. Clients include banks, software developers, branding agencies, entrepreneurs.
IT, outsourcing and data
- GDPR compliance and advice regarding practical implementation, including responding to data subject access requests.
- Channel 5 – advising on agreements for playout and other broadcast technology services, DTT video stream leasing agreements.
- Reward – advising Reward on all aspects of its cardless loyalty scheme for all RBS / Natwest customers, to deliver a large-scale customer insight programme.
- Cupid – conducting an investigation and a data protection compliance audit and advising on a number of major commercial issues affecting its online dating business.
- The Health Lottery – advising on all its agreements for technology, payment network, lottery management and talent.
- Twenty Plc – advising on its suite of data-processing agreements for the Royal Mail with all the major utility companies, and other call centre outsourcing agreements.
- Doctors.net – advising the largest medical networking community on its arrangements for IT infrastructure, hosting, data security and data processing.